Release 2.4 Beta is available

A list of “What’s New” here:
https://help.easyqlik.com/qsda/topics/idh-topic1220.htm

The purpose of beta testing is to validate the updates in a wide set of environments and get your feedback on new features.

Why might you want to participate in a beta test?

• You want to shape the direction of new features,
  • You are a QSDA fan and want to help out
  • You have a need for these features now!

You may install this 2.4 beta right over any QSDA V2.x installation. You should also be able to fall back from the 2.4 to a 2.3.x version.

You can leave comments or bug reports here on the forum. If you have private data to share please open a support ticket at http://support.easyqlik.com/

Release 2,4 contains cumulative bug fixes and performance improvements, Here’s a rundown on the new features in 2.4.

The Expression Decoder gives you a way to explore and navigate long and complex expressions. It’s available from the Expressions page, Hover an expression and click the “eye” icon. The Decoder presents a colorized version of the expression using the original whitespace. A tree navigation lets you break down the anatomy of the expression and high level comments such as “nnn branches” provide insights.

Expresson Decoder Brief

A new Expression length histogram in the Summary > Design KPIs section. Expression length can be an indicator of app quality and maintainability. Long expressions can be difficult to debug and maintain and may contribute to performance problems. Long expressions should be examined,

Expression Histogrm Brief

Connections
In Connection definition, use of a connection can optionally be limited to specific AD group(s), Because this feature relies on Windows identity, you must enable “QSDA Auth” in the QSDA Configuration to make this feature available.

Also in Connection definition are two new properties that control which Qlik Security Rules will be used to build the App list. The first property “Applist Rule” may have the value “app” or “stream”. A value of “app” means that only App security rules will be used to control what goes on the list. A value of “stream” means that QSDA will first get a list of authorized streams and then list only authorized apps within that stream list.

“app” will be the appropriate value in most cases and will give the best performance, If you find the applist is returning more apps than you want, change to “stream”. “stream” will mimic how the Qlik Sense Hub builds it’s list.

The second of the new Connection properties is “Security Rule Environment” which may be “hub” or “QMC”. This corresponds with the “Context” property in a Qlik Security Rule. In most cases you will want to use “hub” to mimic the behavior of the Qlik Sense Hub. If you want your applist to mimic the QMC app list, set the value to “QMC”.

User Interface Changes

You can toggle between dark and light themes.

Dark Mode Brief

Starting a new Analysis is now a two click process. First, click the “Open” button. This will fetch the bookmark list. Then the “New Analysis” button will become available and you can start an analysis as before, This change became necessary because clicking an app caused an app to be loaded to fetch thee bookmarks – even if you had no intention of starting an analysis. A side effect of this new workflow is that QSDA is able to capture data about the app open process if the Qlik server provides it (Aug 2022 I believe).

App Open Brief

The open progress data was inspired by this great free tool from Qlik “Qlik Explorer for Developers”.

The Admin > Collection List page now provides for bulk operations on Collection Delete and Unload,

Bulk Delete Brief

Thanks in advance for your testing and feedback!
-Rob

Hey Rob - we’ve just installed the Beta and are playing around with it - so far the Expression Length Histogram and the Expression Decoder are particularly interesting.

In one example I’m looking at, we have an expression that is too long to admit its length here : ) But the trick is that I can’t figure out which one it is (it’s a big app). We have several expressions that build on each other for maintainability and the expression I assumed it was, it doesn’t seem to be. Would be great if the expression length and expanded length were included in the Expression tab table, so they could be sorted/filtered (unless I’m missing that elsewhere?)

Hi Hannah,

Expression length and Expanded expression length are optional columns on the Expression page. On the Expressions page, select View > Choose columns. Add the two length columns and then you can sort on them.

Don’t be afraid to admit your expression length :slight_smile: I developed the histogram and the decoder because I was regularly encountering expressions tens of thousands chars long. I regularly see them over 100k and the record was over 500k.

-Rob

Ahh thank you! I was looking for something like that, but missed it. Very helpful.

And okay, fine. While not close to the record, thankfully, we are still very much looking for ways to decrease the functional length of our expression that is just shy of 80k :see_no_evil:

I wrote a blog post about one area where I am seeing longer expressions than expected.
https://qlikviewcookbook.com/2023/01/mind-the-concat-sort-weight/

-Rob